Summer Session Housing Community Desk Manager (CDM)
The Summer Session Housing Community Desk Manager (CDM) is a student manager position in the Office of Residence Life, Housing & Dining Services. The CDM assists in supporting the Residence Life Mission: “To create safe and inclusive learning communities that support, challenge, and inspire all students to be ethical leaders and citizens in a diverse society.” CDMs also assist in supporting Colorado State University’s Principles of Community: Inclusion, Integrity, Respect, Service, and Social Justice. Finally, CDMs support Residence Life’s Pillars: Connections, Leadership Development, Diversity and Social Justice, Learning, and Professional Development. The CDM oversees the operation of the Summer Session Housing community desk and ensures high-quality customer service to our students, families, and guests; supervise Desk Staff Members; and, assist in creating an inclusive community within the Summer Session Housing residence hall.
The Community Desk Manager supervises the community desk including hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluating the desk staff collaboratively with the Community Desk Coordinator or Summer Session Housing Graduate Assistant Residence Director (ARD). The CDM ensures the community desk is an effective resource for students and guests to gain information about campus and community resources. The CDM ensures mail and packages are managed in accordance with federal and state laws and any department/University policies. The CDM position is supervised by the Community Desk Coordinator.
The CDM position is a 20-25 hour a week position.
- Conduct hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluation of desk staff in accordance with Residence Life’s Mission and Pillars.
- Participate in Residence Life and Housing & Dining Services required trainings, while encouraging participation of desk staff members.
- Address performance concerns and issues in a timely manner and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Ensure completion and maintenance of all employment paperwork including evaluations, disciplinary documentation, and training information with appropriate Residence Life and Housing & Dining Services staff.
- Manage Time Clock Plus database functions.
- Maintain communication with staff and supervisors through emails, phone calls, and posted information.
- Conduct monthly staff meetings with desk staff.
- Schedule the desk to be staffed to provide appropriate levels of customer service at varied times throughout the day and summer based on needs of the community (i.e. desk, mail, and show room shifts).
Customer Service & Administrative Functions
- Support Conference & Event Services operations that may also reside in the Summer Session Housing hall.
- Ensure high quality customer service including answering questions, resolving complaints and issues, and referring students and guests to appropriate staff and resources.
- Manage and oversee logging/accountability of mail and packages to meet all federal, state, University and department laws, policies, and guidelines.
- Respond appropriately to hall emergencies and provide support and follow-up to staff as needed.
- Complete administrative duties in a thorough and timely manner.
- Keep supervisor informed of and assist with community, resident, and facility issues.
- Conduct and maintain regular inventory of desk supplies and equipment for check-out.
- Conduct and oversee regular key audits and the ordering of new room keys, prox keys, and mail keys as needed.
- Communicate meal plan changes via sharepoint on a weekly basis.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Attend training and on-going development for CDMs to promote inclusive excellence when working with those who interact with the desk and among the staff.
- Connect students with resources on campus including Student Diversity Programs and Services offices.
- Report student behavior that involves incidents of bias based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy, to the RD/ARD, and in accordance with CSU’s Non-Discrimination Policy: http://oeo.colostate.edu/non-discrimination-statement
- Participate in CSU, Housing & Dining Services, and Residence Life trainings to continue learning about diversity and inclusion.
Conditions of Employment
- The Summer Session Housing CDM must be enrolled at CSU for Fall 2018, though possible exceptions may be made for candidates graduating May 2018.
- The Summer Session Housing CDM must remain in good academic standing with the University; a GPA of 2.5 is preferred.
- The Summer Session Housing CDM must attend all training sessions. This includes training on the evening of April 12 and 26 from 5-8pm.
- Must be available 20-25 hours per week to include evenings, weekends, and holidays during the summer and willing to work from May 12, 2018 to August 5, 2018
- Remuneration for this position is $12.90/hour.
- Two semesters of experience as a CDSM/desk staff in a CSU residence hall by the start date as a CDM
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Strong administrative skills and attention to details
- Previous leadership and facilitation experience
- Experience providing excellent customer service
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs
Please apply online using colostate.erezlife.com.
CSU is an EO/EA/AA employer.
Colorado State University conducts background checks on all final candidates, and all applicants must be 18 or older at time of background check to be considered for a position.