Ram Orientation Community Desk Manager (CDM)
The Ram Orientation Community Desk Manager (CDM) is a student manager position in the Office of Residence Life, Housing & Dining Services. The CDM assists in supporting the Residence Life Mission: “To create safe and inclusive learning communities that support, challenge, and inspire all students to be ethical leaders and citizens in a diverse society.” CDMs also assist in supporting Colorado State University’s Principles of Community: Inclusion, Integrity, Respect, Service, and Social Justice. Finally, CDMs support Residence Life’s Pillars: Connections, Leadership Development, Diversity and Social Justice, Learning, and Professional Development. The Ram Orientation CDM oversees the operation of the Ram Orientation community desk and ensures high-quality customer service to our students, families, and guests; supervise Ram Orientation RAs who are working the desk; and, assist in creating inclusive communities within the residence halls.
The Community Desk Manager supervises the community desk including training, scheduling, and evaluating the Ram Orientation Resident Assistants collaboratively with the hall’s Assistant Residence Director (ARD) and Summer Housing and Special Event Coordinator. The CDM ensures the community desk is an effective resource for students and guests to gain information about campus and community resources. The CDM position is supervised by the ARD of the respective residence hall.
The CDM position is a 30-hour a week position.
- Conduct training, scheduling, and evaluation of desk staff in accordance with Residence Life’s Mission and Pillars.
- Participate in Residence Life and Housing & Dining Services required trainings, while encouraging participation of desk staff members.
- Address performance concerns and issues in a timely manner and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Ensure completion and maintenance of all employment paperwork including evaluations, disciplinary documentation, and training information with appropriate Residence Life and Housing & Dining Services staff.
- Manage Time Clock Plus database functions.
- Maintain communication with staff and supervisors through emails, phone calls, and posted information.
- Conduct regular staff meetings with Ram Orientation Resident Assistants.
- Schedule the desk to be staffed to provide appropriate levels of customer service at varied times throughout the day and summer based on needs of the Ram Orientation Program. (i.e. Desk shifts, RA duty, Luggage check-in/check-out, Check-in/Check-out, Late Night Programming).
Customer Service & Administrative Functions
- Attend, support, and/or lead training activities that pertain to the desk and Ram Orientation housing operations.
- Ensure high quality customer service including answering questions, resolving complaints and issues, and referring students and guests to appropriate staff and resources.
- Manage daily room moves and additions to the guest list using the Kx event management system.
- Respond appropriately to hall emergencies and provide support and follow-up to staff as needed.
- Complete administrative duties in a thorough and timely manner.
- Keep supervisor informed of and assist with community, resident, and facility issues.
- Complete daily key audits, including room, and prox keys.
- Maintain a lost and found log and attempt to reunite guests with their belongings.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Attend training and on-going development for desk staff to promote inclusive excellence when working with those who interact with the desk and among the staff.
- Connect students with resources on campus including Student Diversity Programs and Services offices.
- Report student behavior that involves incidents of bias based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy, to the RD/ARD, and in accordance with CSU’s Non-Discrimination Policy: http://oeo.colostate.edu/non-discrimination-statement
- Participate in CSU, Housing & Dining Services, and Residence Life trainings to continue learning about diversity and inclusion.
Conditions of Employment
- The Ram Orientation CDM must be enrolled at CSU for Fall 2018, though possible exceptions may be made for candidates graduating May 2018.
- The Ram Orientation CDM must remain in good academic standing with the University; a GPA of 2.5 is preferred.
- The Ram Orientation CDM should attend the Ram Orientation Meet and Greet on April 18th, 2018.
- Must be available 30 hours per week to include evenings, weekends, and holidays during the summer and willing to work from May 16, 2018 to July 23, 2018
- The CDM must be able to work overnight/weekend shifts and respond to emergencies.
- Remuneration for this position is $12.90/hour and room and board including 21 meals/week during your time of employment as well as $50 Ram Cash.
- Two semesters of experience as a CDSM/desk staff member in a CSU residence hall by the start date as a CDM or previous experience working with Ram Orientation Housing.
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Strong administrative skills and attention to details
- Previous leadership and facilitation experience
- Experience providing excellent customer service
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs
Please apply online using colostate.erezlife.com.
CSU is an EO/EA/AA employer.
Colorado State University conducts background checks on all final candidates, and all applicants must be 18 or older at time of background check to be considered for a position.