The Community Desks in Residence Life are a hub for information, resources, and staying connected within the residence halls. The desks are completely staffed and run by students, making them an exciting work environment for students looking for a flexible on-campus job.
Residence Life is not currently accepting applications for student staff positions. Please check back in the fall for more opportunities!
COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY
Housing & Dining Services
Office of Residence Life
Community Desk Staff Member
The Community Desk Staff Member (CDSM) is a customer service position in the Office of Residence Life, Housing & Dining Services. The CDSM assists in supporting the Residence Life Mission: “To create safe and inclusive learning communities that support, challenge, and inspire all students to be ethical leaders and citizens in a diverse society.” CDSMs also assist in supporting Colorado State University’s Principles of Community: Inclusion, Integrity, Respect, Service, and Social Justice. Finally, CDSMs support Residence Life’s Pillars: Connections, Leadership Development, Diversity and Social Justice, Learning, and Professional Development. CDSMs provide high quality customer services to our students, families, and guests; ensure safety and security; and, assist in creating inclusive community within the residence halls.
The Community Desk Staff Member is responsible for working at the community desk in one of the residence halls. The CDSM’s primary role is to provide quality customer service to the students, staff, families, campus partners, guests, and all those that interact with our community desks. In addition, they are an effective resource for students, families, and visitors, providing information about campus and community resources. Finally, the CDSM checks out supplies and items available to students and guests. The CDSM position is directly supervised by the Community Desk Manager (CDM), and indirectly supervised by the Residence Director (RD) or Assistant Residence Director (ARD) of that building.
- Work scheduled desk shifts and find a replacement CDSM for any shifts they are unable to work.
- Ensure high quality customer service to exceed expectations of those who interact with our desk. This includes: answering questions, resolving complaints and issues, referring students to appropriate staff and resources, and other tasks as needed.
- Assist in the daily operation of the community desk and residence hall(s) in conjunction with the CDM and RD/ARD.
- Work closely and communicate regularly with hall staff in order to ensure daily tasks and operations are completed effectively and efficiently.
- Log and maintain accountability with mail and packages to meet all federal, state, University and department laws, policies, and guidelines.
- Provide temporary pass keys to residents and maintain all temporary keys during shifts.
- Answer office phone, adhering to Housing & Dining Services phone etiquette standards.
Staff and Administrative Functions
- Attend required training activities during August, January, and throughout the academic year.
- Assist with hall and administrative duties as assigned by the hall staff, and where appropriate.
- Know about, respond to, and follow up on floor/hall emergencies/procedures, policy violations, and know appropriate staff and resources to contact.
- Actively support other members of the residence hall staff; work collaboratively as a team.
- Support and adhere to University and Housing & Dining Services policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Complete paperwork in a thorough and timely manner.
- Inform supervisor of desk and facility issues and submit online work orders as needed.
- Assist with facility issues in the community/hall(s) as directed by CDM and RD/ARD.
- Conduct and maintain regular inventory of the desk supplies, material, and hall keys through regular audits.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- Support and participate in community development initiatives.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Attend training and on-going development for CDSMs to promote inclusive excellence when working with those who interact with the desk and among the staff.
- Connect students with resources on campus including Student Diversity Programs and Services offices.
- Report student behavior that involves incidents of bias based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy, to the RD/ARD, and in accordance with CSU’s Non-Discrimination Policy: http://oeo.colostate.edu/non-discrimination-statement
- Participate in CSU, Housing & Dining Services, and Residence Life trainings to continue learning about diversity and inclusion.
Conditions of Employment
- CDSMs must be enrolled at CSU and making progress toward their degree during the period of employment.
- CDSMs must remain in good academic standing with the University; a GPA of 2.5 is preferred.
- The CDSM position is for one semester with opportunities to extend for additional terms at the discretion of the CDM and RD/ARD.
- CDSMs must be able to work day, overnight, and weekend shifts. Opportunity to work over Fall, Winter, and Spring Breaks is dependent on building.
- CDSMs must be able to work a minimum of 8 hours/week.
- Remuneration – $8.39/hour
Please apply online using colostate.erezlife.com.
CSU is an EO/EA/AA employer.
Colorado State University conducts background checks on all final candidates, and all applicants must be 18 or older at time of background check to be considered for a position.